What’s the role?
Reporting into the retail operations director the general manager has overall responsibility for the transport operation of this key account in terms of strategy, performance, compliance and personnel.
What will I be responsible for?
- Working with the operations director in the formulation of the retail strategy
- Delivering and executing the strategy across the retail sector
- Identifying opportunities for continuous improvement and opportunities to add value
- Establishing and maintaining effective relations with the customer to ensure their expectations are met
- Managing the sector’s performance in order to maximise revenue, control costs and drive profits
- Working with the regional planning, transport and operations managers in order to identify and drive efficiencies, ensuring achievement of agreed KPI’s, including minimising empty legs and maximising revenue per mile and customer performance
- Actively seek new business opportunities for the sector and work with the business development team to identify opportunities
Compliance and Maintenance
- Utilising compliance and maintenance information in the instigation of actions to minimise risk to the business, control costs and drive profitability
- Identifying trends and developing solutions in the following areas: -
- Driver compliance
- Accidents and incidents and risk assessments
- Fleet defects , site maintenance and repair
- Fuel consumptions
- Line Management responsibility for the regional planning, operations and transport managers
- Ensuring processes are in place to manage the flow of communication across the sector in a clear, timely and consistent fashion
- Working with the retail HR business partner to devise and maintain succession plans for the sector
- Overseeing all aspects of staff and driver training including performance management
What kind of person are you looking for?
To be successful in the role it is expected you will have experience in a similar role. Alternatively, significant experience in a regional management role in either operations or planning within ESL or equivalent organisation would be required.
You will also need to be able to demonstrate commercial acumen and be financially astute.