What’s the role?
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced planning manager to join our busy Carlisle depot, supervising the day to day planning operation of the Manufacturing business sector. Working alongside the general manager, you will be leading a team of planners to deliver a compliant and cost effective transport plan whilst meeting the challenging service demands of the fulfilment clients.
The role gives exposure to senior management forums and decision making and as such requires strong commercial and operational awareness of the wider Stobart operation. Through conference calls and utilising varying system driven reports, the planning manager must ensure informed decisions are made in managing network volumes and delivering efficient plans whilst also satisfying customer service expectations.
What will I be responsible for?
- Transport Plan – To constantly review all aspects of the plan to drive efficiencies. Maximising revenue, controlling costs and driving profits:
- KPI – Decipher all information and work in consultation with other regional planning managers to continually seek improvements
- Data Trends – Analyse trends in relation to customer volume flows and recurring empty legs to minimise waste
- Strategic Planning – Utilise daily, weekly and seasonal trends to assist the Sector in preparing for increases and decreases in volume. Discuss potential options with regional operations manager and general manager. Communicate any decisions to the whole planning team
- State of Play – Through data analysis and regular communication have a continual grasp of the current state of play regarding planned and unplanned work for the sector
- Key Customers – Monitor and influence the service levels of the fulfilment sector accounts
- Communicating the plan – Utilising conference call facilities, weekly ops meetings and team briefings ensure systems and processes are in place that allow each member of the planning team to understand their responsibility throughout their shift
- GTS system – Have overall sector responsibility for the quality of data stored on the system. Ensuring the systems capabilities are fully utilised and all data has integrity
- Managing Absence – Ensure systems are in place to track and manage absence from work. This includes the tracking and scheduling of holidays. Monitor holiday allocations to ensure the demands of the business are met at all times
- Payroll – Constantly monitor and manage payroll expenditure ensuring manning levels and overtime are constantly reviewed and controlled
- Succession – work alongside the general manager and regional operations manager to constantly have succession plans in place for each key role in the sector
- Disciplinary / Grievance – Manage the disciplinary process to ensure company procedure is followed
- Training and Development – Monitor all aspects of planning team training for the sector
- Performance Management – Carry out regular one to ones and appraisals. Ensure the performance management system is operated at all levels within the planning team
- Communication – Work tirelessly to ensure that the flow of communication across the Sector is clear, timely and consistent
- Customer Performance – To work closely with both customer services and the business development team to ensure all customers are well served:
- Customer Relations – Communicate directly with customers when requested. Being prepared to demonstrate to customers the operation of the GTS and Microlise systems at any time
- New Business – Utilising knowledge of empty legs and one way business, liaise with the general manager and the business development team to suggest potential new business opportunities for the sector
What kind of person are you looking for?
As the successful candidate you will have a reliance on strong analytical skills, supported by your prior experience working with the Microsoft packages; in particular, Excel. In addition to the above, you will be a creative but analytical thinker and a strong communicator who must be comfortable in making key strategic decisions.
We reserve the right to adjust the closing dates of the vacancy adverts early, for example, where we have received a high volume of applications.