Eddie Stobart is a leading logistics and supply chain organisation in the UK. The business was initially formed in 1970 by its eponymous founder Edward Stobart, and went on to become, and continues to be, one of the UK’s most well-known companies in the supply chain sector. It is recognised for its high levels of service and benefits from a significant base of long term relationships with blue chip customers.
From its headquarters in Warrington, operating some 2,200 vehicles, 3,800 trailers and 24 distribution centres throughout the UK and Europe, Eddie Stobart provides its services to a range of national and international customers. With many of these, Eddie Stobart has had a long standing relationship for more than ten years. One of Eddie Stobart’s key differentiators is its pay-as-you-go, scale enabled, shared-user network approach which maximises fleet and warehouse utilisation, allowing Eddie Stobart to provide its customers with cost effective supply chain solutions. This flexibility, together with IT-supported network planning, allows Eddie Stobart to reduce empty vehicle miles, thus improving utilisation levels to above 86%, compared with the industry average of 71%.
Since passing into its current ownership in April 2014, Eddie Stobart has focused its business on growing a balanced portfolio across the following core sectors: E-Commerce, Manufacturing, Industrial & Bulk, Retail and Consumer.
Founder, Eddie Stobart, goes into business as an agricultural contractor in the isolated Lake District village of Hesket Newmarket.
Eddie Stobart became a limited company on 23rd November 1970 led by Edward Stobart, Eddie’s second son, and started doing general haulagestill based in Hesket Newmarket.
Edward drives the company’s transition from an agricultural contracting business into road transport and warehousing and moves into the first depot at Greystone Road in Carlisle.
Eddie’s youngest son, William, joins the business. Working in the garage and office and then driving from the age of 21 (pictured here with the 12th vehicle in the fleet) for 3 years.
The business expands significantly, opening depots across the UK and Europe. This consistent, rapid growth helped make Eddie Stobart one of the UK’s best-known brands.
The summer of 1996 saw the opening of the Eddie Stobart Shop in Carlisle city centre, the launch of the official members' club and the start of the franchise with Corgi Toys.
William leaves Eddie Stobart to become a shareholding director in Andrew Tinkler’s rail-based infrastructure engineering business, WA Developments (WAD).
WAD International, owned by Andrew Tinkler and William Stobart, acquires Eddie Stobart, implementing changes that re-focus the business on core values, profitability & environmental goals.
Significant investment is made in IT infrastructure in conjunction with the development of a key management team and the introduction of a striking new livery for the fleet.
The first Stobart Rail round-trip daily service from Daventry to Glasgow is launched on 19th September 2006. This was the longest domestic freight train operated in the UK.
Eddie Stobart is listed on the London Stock Exchange, formed through a reverse merger with Westbury Property Fund Limited.
Eddie Stobart acquires the O’Connor Ports business, including its Widnes railhead and container handling facility based on the West Coast Main Line.
Eddie Stobart acquires James Irlam and Sons, further adding to the warehousing and transport fleet. The 240-strong fleet was soon integrated into the Eddie Stobart livery.
Eddie Stobart acquires the Innovate chilled transport business from administration, making a strategic move for the business into fresh and chilled food transport and the operating of a major distribution centre for Nestle.
Stobart Rail launches its first international chilled rail freight service, operating between Valencia, Spain, and the UK. This was the first ever chilled rail service into the UK.
Eddie Stobart reaches a milestone, celebrating its 40th anniversary on 23rd November 2010 and launches an anniversary book to commemorate the occasion.
Edward Stobart, the driving force behind Eddie Stobart Limited and the rapid growth through the 80s and 90s, passes away, aged 56, on 31st March 2011.
The first 15.65m trailer enters British roads in January after the government passes regulation changes that Eddie Stobart campaigned heavily for with the Department for Transport.
Eddie Stobart acquires the UK’s leading vehicle logistics company, Autologic Holding PLC, and Walon Automotive in Belgium; the company's first step into the automotive sector.
Eddie Stobart acquires Night Owl Truckstops at Rugby and Carlisle, creating the new business venture 'Eddie Stobart Truckstops'.
Eddie Stobart is acquired and taken private by William Stobart and a consortium of investors led by DBAY Advisors Limited on 10th April 2014.
In May Alex Laffey is appointed CEO, responsible for the management of the group's businesses. Alex brought with him over 25 years' experience in distribution at a senior level and has operated in 21 markets across Asia and Europe.
Stobart Automotive UK is sold to BCA Marketplace PLC. Eddie Stobart retains Stobart Automotive Europe and concentrates its growth in the European market.
Eddie Stobart launches a new Manufacturing, Industrial and Bulk business sector, resulting in multi-million pound contract wins with Circle K and Aggregate Industries.
At 8am on the 25th of April 2017 Eddie Stobart Logistics plc floated on the London AIM stock market. This created a platform for future growth and enabled the introduction of an employee share incentive plan.
Eddie Stobart Logistics plc acquires iForce Group Limited which provides e-commerce retail logistics solutions including warehousing, fulfilment and returns management. These services complement Eddie Stobart's current business.
Eddie Stobart acquires 50% of Speedy Freight on 7th July. Speedy Freight is a franchised business offering a 24-hour, same-day expedited freight service to businesses, specialising in single load, point-to-point, urgent deliveries.
Our Executive Team
Chief Executive OfficerAlex Laffey
Chief Executive Officer
- Global logistics expert with over 25 years’ experience
- Previously UK Distribution Director and Global Network Development Director, leading overall transformation of UK, European and Asia networks delivering significant cost reductions, improved availability and service
- Led the transformation of a new business operating model for Eddie Stobart
- Joined Eddie Stobart in 2015
Chief Operating OfficerDavid Pickering
Chief Operating Officer
- Over 25 years’ experience working for Eddie Stobart
- Detailed knowledge of Operations spanning our sectors of Manufacturing, Industrial & Bulk, E-Commerce, Retail and Consumer
- Leadership of operational directors
- Fellow Member of the Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transportation
- Joined Eddie Stobart in 1990
Chief Financial OfficerDamien Harte
Chief Financial Officer
- Over 25 years' financial experience spanning the public and private sectors with extensive global logistics knowledge
- 7 years as Global CFO of LM Windpower, an international manufacturing business with sales of 700m Euro, including the creation of a Brazilian JV
- Joined Eddie Stobart in 2016
UK Finance DirectorDavid Meir
UK Finance Director
- Over 25 years’ experience in financial services
- Depth of logistics sector knowledge and experience
- Detailed knowledge of operational finance, acquisition support, auditing and the implementation of financial best practice
- Joined Eddie Stobart in 2004
Chief Information OfficerJohn Court
Chief Information Officer
- Over 25 years’ experience working in supply chain technology, systems strategy and delivery
- Considerable experience in the logistics sector, delivering multi-award winning solutions which deliver innovation, service quality and operational excellence
- John has previously held a number of senior roles, including CIO at TNT Logistics, CIO Europe & SVP at CEVA Logistics and more recently COO of Masternaut, a leading supply chain technology organisation
- Joined Eddie Stobart in 2015
HR DirectorAngelina Miley
- A HR professional who has operated at senior leadership level in global businesses and across a variety of sectors
- Worked within both single- and multi-site unionised environments on a worldwide basis
- Previously worked as HR Director for Bibby Distribution and with manufacturing firm Houghton plc as European HR Director - with responsibility for all HR activity related to major acquisitions and transfers
- Supporting the implementation of a new business operating model for Eddie Stobart through the alignment of the People Agenda
Legal Director & Company SecretaryElaine Williams
Legal Director & Company Secretary
- Experienced corporate lawyer and company secretary
- Previously a partner in international law firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, with experience working in London, Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore
- Deputy Group Company Secretary at HSBC Holdings plc
- General Counsel & Company Secretary at FTSE 100 company British Land plc
- Joined Eddie Stobart in 2017